Augest.27 : It is just as well that the Prime Minister chose the forum of the ongoing conference in New Delhi of India's ambassadors and high commissioners overseas to underscore that this country had been a victim of terrorism, and that it was essential to tackle global terrorism with vigour and resolve in order to ensure national progress. After the fiasco of the Sharm el-Sheikh joint statement with Pakistan, which sought to "de-bracket" terrorist acts against this country and talks with Pakistan, it was important to reassure India's top diplomatic representatives that the official position in respect of terrorism emanating from Pakistan was not in any way being sought to be played down for a short-term or expedient reason. It was evident after Sharm el-Sheikh that there was not a little unease with the formulation among our top diplomats overseas and senior officials of the external affairs ministry. There was the distinct impression abroad that among those uncertain about the perceived change were particularly those who have dealt with Pakistan and India's neighbourhood. Dr Manmohan Singh's extempore address on Tuesday is likely to assuage any professional anxieties our diplomats may have entertained. What is more, the issuing of a Red Corner Notice by Interpol against Hafiz Saeed, Pakistan's principal ideologue of jihad against India who is officially described here as the "mastermind" of the Mumbai outrage last November, materialised on the day the Prime Minister addressed the diplomats on a matter of existential concern.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Govt’s firm line on Pak welcome
Infiltration up, admits Army
Aug. 26: GOC-in-C Northern Command Lieutenant-General P.C. Bhardwaj on Wednesday claimed that although the rate of infiltration bids from across the border has gone up, the general security situation has considerably improved in the state.
Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj said the threat from across the border still exists and it is evident from the upswing in infiltration this year. "Logistic support to militants, too, is intact from across the border. Yet no major incident of violence has occurred in the state, which is suggestive of dipping level of violence. Peaceful conduct of elections and a smooth Amarnath Yatra this year — these factors suggest that the security situation has improved," he asserted.
It was maintained that the terrorists were using latest technology, satellite phones and GPS system but the Army was well-prepared to tackle all threats posed to the security of nation.
On the question as which was the hot border, the reply was: "The borders, both with Pakistan and China, were hot. Yet with China all the disputes could be resolved amicably during flag meetings."
A senior Northern Command officer said claimed, "Around 26 infiltration attempts were foiled by the Army this year till date in the area of state under command yet the majority of attempts (25) were made in the Valley. So far 59 terrorists (majority in the Valley) were killed. Around 72 terrorists managed to infiltrate."
13 Chhattisgarh cops face music for staying away from Maoist area
“Thirteen policemen were suspended on the charges of insubordination, indiscipline and cowardice,” Inspector General of Police RK Vij told The Pioneer on Wednesday.
Earlier, this month, these policemen were transferred to Madanwada police outpost on temporary postings. They were put under suspension after they failed to join their duties. Their reluctance to join the duty even after suspension was followed by their dismissal.
Sources say, the reluctance of policemen to join duty was felt to demoralise the spirit of other cops, who are fighting a crucial battle against the Leftwing insurgents in the State.
Earlier, on July 12, 29 policemen including a Superintendent of Police were killed by the Maoists in Madanwada area of Rajnandgaon disrict in four consecutive attacks. The police have opened an outpost in the area said to be badly infested by the Maoists.
Dhumal Govt proposes to hike salaries of Speaker, Ministers
Salary of MLAs is proposed to be raised from Rs 8,000 to Rs 15,000 per month while the Constituency allowance would be almost doubled to Rs 20,000. The basic pension of ex-MLAs for one term is also proposed to be doubled from Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 while the hike for every additional would be Rs 400 instead of Rs 200 at present.
Salary of the Chief Minister would be raised from Rs 18,000 to Rs 34,000; the Ministers would get an increased salary of Rs 31,000, up from current Rs 15,000, while the State Ministers’ salary would go up from Rs 11,000 to Rs 28,000 and that of Deputy Ministers from Rs 10,000 to Rs 27,000.
The salary of the Speaker would be Rs 31,000 at par with the Cabinet Ministers and the Deputy Speaker would draw a salary of Rs 28,000, equivalent to the Ministers of State.
Martyr’s father exposes Govt irregularities
HL Attri, who retired as director from the Ministry of Environment and Forests in 2002 has exposed through RTI Act how his fellow colleague in the Ministry was given out of turn increments in a single financial year in contravention of the existing rules.
Another director in the MoEF, Rajendra Mishra was given two increments at one go in 1996 causing a loss of lakhs of rupees to the exchequer.
“Now that the wrongdoings of Rajendra Mishra have been exposed, the Government should either recover the illegal increments given to him or accord similar increments to other officials of the Ministry in the grade of director,” Attri told The Pioneer.
The reply by MoEF to Attri’s RTI application read, “…grant of annual increment to Shri Rajendra Mishra on 1.1.96 appears to be erroneous as no normal increment was due to Shri Mishra as he was stagnating at the maximum of his scale. He was… entitled to stagnation increment on 1.1.96 and his pay ought to have been fixed at Rs 13,875.”
Instead, Mishra’s monthly pay was fixed at Rs 14,250 and accordingly he has been receiving pay scales in contravention of the rules, Attri added.
Attri has in the past exposed how a V-C of the Delhi-based Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University exploited the emergency powers for taking even routine decisions, including appointments bypassing the procedures laid out for administration.
Attri’s son Captain Ayush Attri was killed during an operation in Kargil and was decorated for his bravery by the Government.
India-US joint transport aircraft exercise on Oct 19
The exercise is aimed at evaluating the efficacy of joint operations in the realm of tactics, aero-medical aspects and Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) missions involving medium and heavy lift transport aircraft, an IAF spokesman said here on Wednesday.
Nearly 160 USAF personnel and about 200 IAF air-warriors will participate in the exercise, he added.
The Indian and US Air Force have regularly conducted joint exercises in India and US over the last ten years. Moreover, the SU-30 fighter jets of IAF last year took participated in the 'Red Flag' exercise in the US where five other countries took part. This exercise is rated as the most demanding and sophisticated and the IAF gave a very good account of itself.
The two countries over the years have also increased military to military relations including joint exercises of the Army and the Navy. Besides this, the defence relations between India and the US have also seen an upswing in the last decade and the US defence industry now has a sizable presence here. These companies are keen to have a share of the nearly $30 billion proposed procurement by India in the next five to seven years.
Move to bring traffic police under Delhi Govt
Under the Act, an authority would be created and all the agencies involved in road maintenance, engineering, traffic and transport would come under its purview.
A presentation to this effect was made by the Transport department and Delhi Integrated Multi-Model Transit System before the CM on Wednesday.
Sources said the CM has asked the officials to prepare a proposal in this regard as they needed approval of the Union Home Ministry.
Supreme Court judges to disclose assets
“A decision in principle has been taken on the issue at a meeting convened by Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan and the details of the assets to be declared by the judges would be put on the Supreme Court website,” a top apex court source said after the two-hour deliberations.
The decision comes after months of public debate over making public the details of higher judiciary, especially the apex court judges and their families, ever since the Right to Information law triggered a clamour on the issue.
The source said the decision, adopted in the form of a resolution, would be effective only after the minutes are signed by all the judges.
“Once the minutes are recorded the assets would be made public and would be posted on the Supreme Court website,” the source said.
The decision was immediately welcomed by senior advocates Soli Sorabjee and Prashant Bhushan, who has been campaigning on the subject.
Sorabjee said it was a decision in the right direction. He said it was not much about judicial corruption and that they had something to hide but it was due to some misgivings.
The issue of declaration of assets had also led to a spat with Karnataka High Court judge Justice DV Shylendra Kumar, who questioned Balakrishnan’s authority to speak on behalf of all judges. The CJI hit back saying the judge was “publicity crazy”.
A couple of days ago, the CJI, however, had maintained that judges were free to disclose their assets and nothing prevented them from doing so. Only there was a lack of consensus, which he said was being worked out.
In between, Justice MK Kannan, a judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, and Justice Kumar declared their assets while Justice K Chandru of the Madras High Court expressed his inclination to do so. — PTI
