SOLDIERS CHATBOX ..... BIGGER AND BETTER

Thursday, December 3, 2009

140 killed in 265 MiG fighter jet crashes

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has lost 265 MiG fighter jets in crashes during the last two decades leaving 140 people dead, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Wednesday.

'In the last two decades (since April 1989 and up to Nov 26, 2009), 265 MiG fighter aircraft of the IAF have crashed. A total of 96 service personnel and 44 civilians were killed in these cases,' Antony told the parliament in a written reply.

Dubbed 'flying coffins' for their frequent crashes, only 150-160 of the over 450 single-engine MiG-21s with the IAF are still in service. A large number have been lost in accidents during peace time.

Antony said that all precautions are being taken before flying the aircrafts.

'Each aircraft accident in the IAF is investigated through a court of inquiry and remedial measures are undertaken accordingly to check their recurrence in future.

'Besides continuous and multi-faceted efforts are always underway in the IAF to enhance and upgrade flight safety,' Antony added.

However, a senior IAF official said that because it faces a shortage of fighter squadrons, the IAF cannot afford to phase out the ageing MiG-21s. If it does that, it would diminish its force level drastically.

'The main problem with MiG-21s is that they are very old and the on-board systems have become obsolete,' a highly-placed IAF official, who has flown the combat aircraft, told IANS.

The IAF, the world's fourth largest air force, currently has a fighter squadron strength of 33.5 against the sanctioned 39.

The Indian government has issued tenders for acquisition of 126 medium multi-role combat aircrafts but the acquisition has been delayed due to time consuming procedures, which include submitting of bids, technical evaluation of proposals from global military suppliers and field trials.

The first aircraft would conservatively be inducted only by 2020, according to defence ministry sources. The assessment is that the retirement of the five squadrons of MiG-21s will diminish the IAF's conventional edge over its adversaries.

The current deadline for the retirement of MiG-21s is 2011. But this is likely to be pushed back further due to the slow pace of procurement and indigenisation process.

The latest crash took place Sep 11 when a MiG-21 went down in Bathinda in Punjab, killing the pilot.

The MiG-21s, inducted in 1964, proved their worth in the 1971 war with Pakistan and again in 1999 during the Kargil conflict, also with Pakistan. The IAF inducted its first MiG-21 from the erstwhile Soviet Union five years after their induction into the Soviet Air Force. Thereafter some 450 MiG-21 jets were inducted in the IAF to bolster its strength.

The indigenous LCA (light combat aircraft) project has been marred with delays because of the inability of military research bodies to provide engines with right configuration for the aircrafts. 



Indian air force grounds fighter jets after crash

All 100 such planes have been grounded as the IAF carries out "precautionary checks" following the crash.

Two crew members managed to eject from the Russian-designed Sukhoi-30MKI just before the crash on Monday.

Last month Indian President Pratibha Patil rode in a Sukhoi jet, becoming the first Indian woman to do so.

Monday's crash was the second such incident involving a Sukhoi fighter jet this year. The air force is believed to have sought assistance from Russia for this investigation, the Times of India reported.
 
 
 

China not a threat to us: Navy Chief

Admiral Nirmal Verma told CNN-IBN’s Vishal Thapar the Navy was acquiring 30 warships, which would strengthen India’s growing role to ensure peace and stability in the region.

Verma said the Indian Navy’s exercises were not targeted at any nation and intended to test its capability. “We've had a series of (naval) exercises and these exercises have been very heartening and very comforting. These exercises were no different from the Army exercises,” he said.

“We are very sure of our maritime interests and we prepare for that. It maybe that some others might also have their interests in the same region but I don't see any reason for worry.”

Verma claimed India’s neighbours were not worried by its plans to acquire warships. “As far as our neighbours are concerned, they also welcome it, because there are many of them who don't have the assets to acquire such things,” he said.Verma said several nations had requested India for maritime security because of increasing piracy.

Army court’s report on land scam awaited: Gen Kapoor

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Indian Army chief General Deepak Kapoor Wednesday said he was yet to get a report of a court of inquiry which has indicted two senior-ranking generals in a land deal.

“I will get it once it is finalized by the presiding officer. Once the court of inquiry is finalized, it goes to the convenient authority. When the authority approves the court of inquiry then we will think of what is to be done. It will come to me after that,” Kapoor told reporters.

A court of inquiry found that two top generals, Lt. Gen. Awadesh Prakash and Lt. Gen P.K. Rath, “blame worthy” in bending rules to give no-objection certificate (NoC) to sale of state-owned land to a private builder for building a school near Sukna cantonment in Darjeeling, West Bengal.

An NoC is mandatory for sale of land adjacent to military stations due to security reasons.

The defence ministry is also awaiting the army court’s report. According to ministry officials, Defence Minister A.K. Antony himself has sought the report.

“Whenever there is a irregularity in the procedure, a court of inquiry is held. And as soon as the ministry gets to know about the findings, we will also like an explanation,” Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju told reporters outside parliament.

Prakash is currently posted as director general military services at the army headquarters here. The army also cancelled Rath’s appointment as the deputy chief of army staff after his name figured in the controversy.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/army-courts-report-on-land-scam-awaited-gen-kapoor_100283313.html#ixzz0YaG9hGFi

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

VAT Rule for CSD changed in West Bengal.....( Good or Bad ????)

Dear Readers,

No deduction in terms of Rule 26C shall be admissible in respect of sales of taxable goods to CSD, West Bengal or to Regimental or Unit-run canteen in West Bengal for the period 1st November 2009 to 30th June 2010. 

CSD and Regimental Units in West Bengal shall now be required to pay tax on all purchases made within West Bengal. 


Upon amendment of Rule 26D as above, sales of any taxable goods to the defense personnel within West Bengal made by the said CSD and Regimental Units in West Bengal shall be without charge of tax only if such goods are purchased within West Bengal. 


With the insertion of new Rule 26DA, CSD in West Bengal can now effect sales to Regimental Units in West Bengal without charge of tax only in respect of such goods purchased within West Bengal. 


All inter-State sales made by the said CSD and Regimental Units in West Bengal shall be upon charge of tax. 



the link is here:


latest on OROP....

A Committee was constituted under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary to look into the issue of One Rank One Pension and other related matters. After considering all aspects of the issue, the Committee did not find it administratively feasible to recommend One Rank One Pension, as such. However, several other recommendations to substantially improve pensionary benefits of Personnel Below Officer Rank (PBOR) and Commissioned officers have been made, which have been accepted by the Government:-

(i) Inclusion of Classification Allowance for PBOR from Jan 01, 2006.

(ii) Removal of linkage of full pension with 33 years from Jan 01, 2006.

(iii) Revision of Lt Gen Pension after carving out a separate pay scale for them.

(iv) Bringing parity between pension of pre and post October 10, 1997 PBOR pensioners.

(v) Further improving PBOR pensions based on award of GOM, 2006. (vi) Broadbanding of percentage of disability/war injury pension for pre Jan 01, 1996 disability/war injury pensioners.

(vii) Removal of cap on war injury element of pension in the case of disabled pensioners belonging to Category ‘E’.

Recommendations at (i) and (ii) stand implemented by issue of Government letter dated October 30, 2009.

This information was given by Minister of State for Defence Shri MM Pallam Raju in a written reply to Smt Sushma Swaraj and others in Lok Sabha today.

Source : 90paisa

Why special privileges for female fighter pilots?

Source:

http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/ArticleImage.aspx?article=29_11_2009_338_002&kword=&mode=1


spectator – Ladies’ Special

The brouhaha about female fighter pilots shows how feminists are falling prey to the culture of entitlement NO, THERE WAS NOTHING REMOTELY SEXIST ABOUT AIR FORCE VICE CHIEF P K BARBORA’S STATEMENT

Seema Goswami

 I KNOW  I’M going to get sack-loads of hate mail for this (bring it on, ladies!) but I simply have to say this. When it comes to women being inducted as fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force, I’m one with the IAF Vice Chief, Air Marshal P K Barbora, who famously voiced his reservations on the subject.

As Barbora explained, an obscene amount of money goes into the making of a fighter pilot. So, it makes no sense to train someone who would then take ten months off on maternity leave.
Hence, if women are to be inducted as fighter pilots, they should undertake not to have children until a specified time.


Honestly, what is so chauvinistic about this statement that it has feminists foaming at the mouth with indignation? It’s a valid point, surely? If the Indian state is going to spend several crore on training someone with a specific set of skills, it stands to reason that it would want these skills to be available to it for a certain period of time.

In the Indian Air Force, that period is defined as 14 years. If a male fighter pilot quits before that, he has to compensate the Air Force for his training costs. So, if women are also expected to serve for 14 years  without taking nearly a year off on pregnancy-related leave  what is so scandalous about that?

After all, isn’t feminism all about equal rights for men and women?

Isn’t it all about equal pay for equal work? And in that case, isn’t it a given that women should be held to the same service standards as men? So, why target Barbora for saying something that should be obvious to everyone, irrespective of gender?

No, there was nothing remotely sexist about the Air Force Vice Chief’s statement. But what is indubitably sexist is what some women are doing: claiming special rights for female fighter pilots  when they finally are inducted into the Indian Air Force  merely because they are women.

It’s not the Air Force Vice Chief who should be apologising for his remarks. It’s the women who are making a mockery of feminism who should say sorry to the rest of us.

Surely it is self-evident that if women are to gain respect at the workplace it has to be on the basis of equality. We have to embrace a level playing field, not ask for special sops for the girls. And anyone who does ask for special treatment is a traitor to our cause. And yet, such is the culture of entitlement has begun to take root within the ranks of feminists that their demands have now become faintly ludicrous if not down right surreal. Now, it is no longer enough that women get enough time off to have babies, they should also be able to work flexible hours or part-time once they rejoin office. What’s more, despite putting in less work (for the same pay) they should still remain on the fast track for promotion.

Surely, this kind of self-serving nonsense beggars belief. Why should a woman who puts in fewer hours, makes less contribu tion be treated on par with her other col leagues  male or female  who are far more invested in their jobs, just to fulfill the demands of political correctness? And why should women take for granted their place in the sun no matter how long they have been in the shade?

None of this makes any sense. I am not suggesting that we deny women the right to a family life, or make it impossible for them to have a healthy work-life balance. I am merely making the point that these are choices that women make. And when they decide to put family first they cannot realistically expect to be treated the same as someone who puts work first.

Unfair? Not a bit. You make your choices and you take the consequences. After all, it makes little sense to replace the much-derided glass ceiling with a baby vault in the boardroom.

So, if you are female and want to become a fighter pilot, then there are some sacrifices you will be expected to make. Postponing childbirth will be one of them. Because no matter what the posters may tell you, you really can’t have it all  well, not all at the same time, certainly.

The kind of militant feminism that says otherwise actually harms the cause of women. It makes women  especially those of an age to have babies  a much less attractive employment prospect. And it pre-disposes businesses and employers to choose men over women instead.

But more than that  and this is what really worries me  it leads to the infantalisation of women. Instead of being seen as equal partners in the business of life they are projected as some sort of special-needs minority group that needs extra protection. Rather than being seen as strong adults they are portrayed as helpless little kids who need looking after.

That is what is truly offensive. That after all these years, we are still asking for special dispensations to help us cope.

If we don’t want to be treated like the weaker sex, perhaps it would make sense to stop behaving as if we are, in fact, weaker.


Rs.64 mn outstanding from VIPs for using military aircraft

 I WONDER :  EVERYONE IS AUTHORIZED.......

NEW DELHI - VIPs flying in military aircraft and helicopters have run up a staggering Rs.64.59 million in unpaid bills, parliament was informed Monday.

A total amount of Rs. 64,592,973 is outstanding,” Defence Minister A.K. Antony said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha, adding: “Bills of airlift are raised by Air Headquarters against the concerned and necessary follow up action is taken thereon.”


No names or details of those against whom the bills are outstanding were given. Neither were the steps being taken to recover the money specified.


Antony also detailed the dignitaries who were entitled to fly in military aircraft, They include the president, the vice president, the prime minister, the deputy prime minister, the defence minister, the finance minister and other ministers of central government.


Besides them, the cabinet secretary, the defence secretary, the three service chiefs, foreign heads of states, the vice presidents and heads of foreign governments on state visit to India and foreign service chiefs on official visit to India are also eligible to travel by military aircraft, Antony added.