SOLDIERS CHATBOX ..... BIGGER AND BETTER

Monday, December 21, 2009

Army statistics reveal infiltration is down


RISING KASHMIR


I WONDER : IS BSF DEPLOYED ON LOC TOO?

Srinagar, Dec 20: Contrary to the claims being made by New Delhi that there has been a ‘significant increase’ in infiltration attempts by militants into Jammu and Kashmir, the statistics prepared by army reveals that the infiltration bids have witnessed a steep decline in 2009. It says that as against 80 infiltrators killed on Line of Control (LoC) in 2008, only 11 were killed this year.

According the figures obtained from Army’s Northern Command, the number of contacts with militants have reduced considerably along the Line of Control (LoC) this year.

Most of the infiltration bids have taken place in North Kashmir’s Gurez and Keran sector and Poonch and Rajouri sector in Jammu province.

The statistics compiled by army discloses that a total of 150 contacts were established with infiltrating militants on LoC in 2009. “This figure was on higher side in 2008 when 197 contacts were established,” the statistics reveal.

Similarly, as against 335 militant killed in 2008, only 236 militants have been killed along the LoC while trying to sneak into the State.

The statistics further reveal that 40 infiltration bids were foiled this year while 42 such bids were foiled in the previous year.

“80 infiltrating militants were killed on LoC in 2008 while in 2009, 11 militants have so far been killed while trying to breach the line,” it disclosed.

Meanwhile, the defense officials said the militants preferred Poonch and Rajouri sectors in Jammu province for sneaking into this side of LoC from Pakistani administered Kashmir. “The militants used the treacherous routes of Gurez, Tanghdar and Keran sector to sneak into Valley,” they said.
The officials said, unlike past, the militants used new strategy by making infiltration attempts as early as in March, when all the mountain peaks and ridges were covered with snow.

At least, 17 militants and eight troopers were killed in the five-day long gunfight in north Kashmir’s Hafrooda forests in March. In the same month, reports suggested that 80 militants supported by 40 porters crossed the snow laden LoC along the Gurez sector.

The defense officials said the militant action forced them to activate counter insurgency posts along the LoC during the winter months. “They remain abandoned for four months due to heavy snowfall on LoC, where sometimes snow exceeds 40 feet mark. At least seven RR troopers got killed in mid-April after avalanches hit military posts activated ahead of time by army due to infiltration of attempts,” they said.

The official said the strength of infiltrating groups has remained same. “The pattern has not changed. The strength of infiltrating militants groups ranged from 8 -12 except in some rare incidents where more men have infiltrated” they said.

Most of the infiltrating militants, according to officials, were engaged within some meters of LOC.

“We have placed surveillance equipment and increased our patrolling along the LOC,” they said.
Talking to Rising Kashmir recently, DGP Kuldip Khoda Police termed infiltration as a cause of concern. “The militants were making concerted efforts to sneak into Jammu and Kashmir to cause trouble,” he said.

On December 6, IG BSF Baljeet Singh said militants were making attempts to sneak into the LOC. He, however, said, there is no information about the militants waiting across the border to get into Kashmir.

However, Indian Army Chief, in his recent statement said, they have reports that 2000-2500 militants are awaiting to sneak into Jammu and Kashmir.

Home minister P Chidambaram told Rajya Sabha that violence in the State has come down but the infiltration is on. He said people are making desperate attempts to cross over LOC.

Navy foils piracy attempt

TIMES OF INDIA 
 
MUMBAI: The Indian navy on Saturday foiled a piracy attempt on cargo vessel MV Sanderling Ace in the Gulf of Aden. The vessel had sent out a distress call after sighting seven persons aboard a white skiff (a small boat) approaching it at 20 knots. MV Sanderling Ace also raised an alarm on Ship Security Alert System.

"A warship deployed by the Indian navy in the Gulf of Aden received a distress call from the vessel around 5.30 pm on Saturday,'' said Captain Manohar Nambiar, public relation officer, Indian Navy. "Upon receiving the call, the naval warship immediately launched helicopter Chetak to intercept the boat. Officials fired warning shots from the chopper, following which those aboard the skiff stopped proceeding towards the vessel.''

"There were seven people aboard the boat. It was difficult to communicate with them since they only spoke Arabic. All were released as nothing suspicious was found on the boat,'' added Captain Nambiar.

A navy officer said pirates for the fear of being apprehended throw their weapons into the sea. Post 26/11, the navy has increased surveillance on the seas.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

India, Russia seal N-deal

Better than 123

Provisions for transfer of enrichment and N-technology, which is denied in the 123 agreement with the US
Will bring uninterrupted uranium fuel supplies even in the event of termination of bilateral ties in this field for any reason

Other agreements


Military cooperation programme extended for another 10 years till 2020, on the after sales and product support of the Russian origin military hardware
A protocol for the joint development and production of multi-role transport aircraft for the armed forces

Moscow, December 7
India and Russia today signed a path-breaking broad-based agreement in civil nuclear field that will ensure transfer of technology and uninterrupted uranium fuel supplies to its nuclear reactors and inked three pacts in the defence sector.

The agreements were signed after talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev at the Kremlin here, during which they discussed a whole range of issues, including terrorism emanating from Afghanistan.

“Today we have signed an agreement that broadens the reach of our cooperation beyond supplies of nuclear reactors to areas of research and development and a whole range of areas in nuclear energy,” Manmohan Singh told a joint press conference with Medvedev.

The PM said the agreement would deepen and strengthen the already existing nuclear cooperation between the two countries under which four new nuclear reactors would be set up by Russia in Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu and a site for the fifth one has been identified in West Bengal.

The new civil nuclear pact provides for uninterrupted uranium fuel supplies from Russia even in the event of termination of bilateral ties in this field for any reason.

The Indo-Russian pact on atomic cooperation is a significant document and goes much further than the 123 agreement between India and the US, officials said. The pact also has provisions for transfer of enrichment and nuclear technology, which is denied in the 123 agreement with the US.

Medvedev said the nuclear agreement opens the way for greater cooperation beyond Kudankulam. “The nuclear cooperation between the two countries have a very good future. We are satisfied with the cooperation and I hope today’s agreement will pave the way for greater cooperation in this field in the years to come,” he said.

Asked about provision of ENR to India against the backdrop of a G-8 resolution in July this year under which Russia and seven other countries committed that they will refrain from transferring such technology, he said: “Nothing changes for us.”

The Prime Minister said the agreement on nuclear cooperation is a major step forward and that both the leaders were satisfied over the agreement on nuclear power cooperation.

The two sides also signed agreements on extending their long term military cooperation programme for another 10 years till 2020, on the after sales and product support of the Russian origin military hardware and a protocol for the joint development and production of multi-role transport aircraft for the armed forces.

Manmohan Singh and Medvedev also discussed regional issues, including the situation in Afghanistan, in which both the countries have a stake and favoured a “stable and prosperous” Afghanistan.

India and Russia will intensify cooperation to meet the grave challenges of terrorism and religious extremism.

Noting that he was visiting Russia for the second time in six months, the PM said this reflected the close ties between the two countries. He said Russia is a major power and a factor of peace and stability in the international system. “India accords highest priority in its relations with Russia and this relationship stands on a firm footing and is not influenced by relations with any other country,” he said.

Calling Indo-Russian relationship as “multi- dimensional and multi-faceted”, he said the two countries have decided to raise the level of bilateral trade from the present level to $30 billion by 2015.

He said the two countries have identified areas like information technology and communication for giving that impetus.

The two countries also reviewed their cooperation in the United Nations and in multilateral fora and their role towards successful conclusion of the Copenhagen Summit on climate change. The Prime Minister said the relationship with Russia characterised by mutual trust and confidence reflecting a strong political commitment on both sides to contributing and strengthening the strategic relationship. Describing his talks with Medvedev as “very productive”, the PM said, “A stronger Russia is important for world peace.” — PTI

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20091208/main1.htm

IAF goes hi-tech for pilot selection

The IAF is changing over to a new computerised system of selecting pilots that now does away with the earlier manual and subjective procedures for judging a candidate’s aptitude and reflexes.

As a pilot project, the DRDO has installed three such systems at the IAF’s service selection boards located in Allahabad, Varanasi and Mysore.

According to Dr W Selvamurthy, Chief Controller, DRDO, the IAF has placed an order worth about Rs 20 crore for additional such systems to be installed at its selection centres. These are expected to be in place within six months.

Each system has multiple nodes and can screen up to 100 individuals at a time. According to information released by the Ministry of Defence last month, the number of officers joining the IAF in the last three years was 463, 485 and 401, respectively.

“In today's environment, a fighter pilot is not just a flier, but a systems manager required to execute multiple tasks in an extremely short-time span, Dr Selvamurthy told The Tribune during a visit here. “The new system tests the time-sharing and workload management skills of candidates, whereas the older procedures were restricted to evaluating the coordination between the mind, limbs and eyes,” he added.

The system is based upon a simulated cockpit mock-up into which flight parameters and other information such as fuel state are fed. A candidate virtually flies an aircraft and his mental and physical responses and reflexes are recorded and analysed by specially developed software.

The system, according to experts, measures a wider spectrum of cognitive processes and is not only restricted to the measurement of reasoning as done by earlier intelligence assessments. It will measure different dimensions of cognitions like attention, memory, problem solving, decision-making, reasoning and concept formation.

It has taken the DRDO about six years to develop this system. The IAF was also closely associated with the project.
 

Navy foils pirate attack on tanker in Gulf of Aden

NEW DELHI: The Indian Navy on Monday prevented a pirate attack on a US-owned tanker in the Gulf of Aden off Somalia's coast.

A Navy spokesperson here confirmed the attack on a private tanker that was flying a Norway flag. He said a naval ship prevented the pirates from taking control of the ship.

The incident occurred around 3 pm local time when MT Nordik Spirit, the tanker owned by Nordik Shipping Company, was sailing in the Gulf of Aden. The pirates made an attempt to hijack the tanker by firing small arms at the crew members.

"The crew immediately sent out a distress signal and the Indian Navy ship, which was in the vicinity, responded to the SOS call," the Navy spokesperson said.

"The warship flew out its helicopters with marine commandos and on seeing it, the pirates gave up their hijack attempt," the spokesperson added.

There have been several hijacks in the Gulf of Aden in the past two years on commercial tankers. In September last year, all 18 Indians on board a Panama-owned oil tanker were hijacked in the Gulf of Aden.

About 15 Somalian pirates were involved in the attack and had hijacked the vessel, bound for Mumbai from Suez, about 38 miles off the coast of Yemen. The ship was taken to Somalia where ransom was negotiated. 
 

Landing system lies defunct, blame game on

With the Airport Authority of India (AAI) and the Indian Air Force authorities playing the blame game over the replacement or repair of the Instrument Landing System (ILS) at the Chandigarh Airport, it is the common man who is at the receiving end.

While the Chandigarh Airport Authority is blaming the local Air Force authorities for the delay, the latter has put the onus of the job on the AAI. None of the authorities is ready to take responsibility for the flights’ disruption and harassment faced by the passengers. Airport Director Suneel Dutt said, “The delay is entirely from the Air Force authorities’ side. They have to decide about the installation of the new ILS which is on their land. The authority to which the instrument belongs is responsible for its repair and replacement and not the AAI.” The ILS system which was working so far was installed by the Air Force on their land. It was a CAT-I system installed 15 years back which was later allowed to the assist in civil operations. 
 

Nepal: Surkhet Air Strip for Indian Air Force, Target Tibet

How will China react to the fresh agreement made in between the Government of Nepal and India that allows the Southern neighbor, China’s arch rival, to construct an Air Base for the Indian Air Force in Surkhet?
The Jana Disha Daily, the Maoists’ Party mouth piece dated December 7, 2009, claims that in the consultative meeting held between the representatives of the Government of India and Nepal, December 4-7, 2009, Kathmandu, the Nepali side has provided a clear go-ahead signal to India to construct the Air-Strip for the Indian Air Force.
It was earlier reported that India has already built air-strips deep inside Bhutan and an air-strip in Surkhet of Nepal will serve the Indian security interests in a much more enhanced manner, say experts.
As per the agreement the government of Nepal will have to allocate some ten hectares of lands in the area to construct the Air Strip.
It was reported that during the visit of Nepal’s Defense Minister Bidya Devi Bhandari to New Delhi in July 2009, Mrs. Bhandari had requested India to construct the Air-Strip for Nepal Army.
“The very idea of constructing an air belt in Surkhet is basically not a Nepali brain. Instead, it is the Indian mind to build an air strip right inside Nepal from where the Indian regime, should an imaginary war with China becomes a reality by 2012 as claimed by Bharat Burma, an Indian defense analyst, could pounce upon Tibet that adjoins the Nepalese border”, claim Nepal’s analysts.
Surkhet is close to the tri-junction, Kalapani, where China meets India in Nepali territory.
Nepal’s defense analysts claim that the Indian Army can strike the heartland in Tibet as and when India and China go to war.
How China reacts to this "benevolent" Nepal, gesture made in favor of India will have to be watched.
 

Indian Military Review Magazine To Be Released In January 2010

New Delhi, Delhi, December 6, 2009 /India PRwire/ -- IDYB Group, with a legacy of 77 years in publishing, have launched Indian Military Review, a monthly military magazine, designed to address the long standing needs of the armed forces, the strategic community and defence industry for a regular media on defence concepts, security issues and technology.

The inaugural issue of the magazine, which comes from the publishers of the ever popular Indian Defence Yearbook, will be released in January 2010. The print version of the magazine is also complimented with an electronic version, which will be unveiled on 1 January 2010.

Maj Gen (Retd) RK Arora, Executive Editor of Indian Military Review, says that the aim of Indian Defence Publishers was to reach every officer of the Indian armed forces. To meet that aim the magazine would initially be distributed free of cost to all units and formations of the Army, Navy and Air Force.

The Editor, Gen Arora, is an established scholar and soldier of the Indian Army who sought premature retirement to take up the challenge of meeting the academic and intellectual requirements of the officers looking for quality inputs on defence matters. In his last appointment in the Army, before Arora took up the editorial task was to head the REDFOR (Red Forces) Branch at the Army's Training Command. REDFOR Branch collects and analyses information on China, Pakistan and potential adversaries so as provide the Army with the 'enemy's thinking, concepts and likely plans'.

Gen Arora holds post graduate degrees in Public Administration, Defence Studies & Management and Social Science. Besides experience in counter-insurgency, he was involved in the joint operations planning as secretary of the Joint Planning Committee in the Ministry of Defence and in the perspective planning for short and long term planning for acquisition of infantry weapons in Army Headquarters.

 http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/defense/2009120638964.htm